Genoa City (original name: Genoa Junction)
This village of about three hundred inhabitants is situated in the southeastern part of the town (Bloomfield), near the northern State line of Illinois, and on the east side of Nippersink Creek. The Rockford & Kenosha Railroad passes through the village, and the Chicago & Northwestern along its eastern line. It is not incorporated. (Note: Genoa Junction became incorporated in 1901) Genoa contains a postoffice, one flour mill, a planing mill, lumber yard, two carriage shops, one general blacksmith and repairing establishment, a good hotel, three general stores, one drng and
grocery store, one hardware store, one tailor, one shoemaker, and two saloon-keepers.
Genoa Flour Mills,—The original building was erected in 1851, by James F. Dickerson. It then had two (2) run of stone; it now has four, with a capacity of 50 bbls. of flour and 350 bu. of feed per day. The main building is three-and-one-half stories, 60 X 80 ft., with three wings, and the property is valued at $15,000. J. A. Pierce, of Sugar Creek, is the owner, but the mill is operated by G. W. Pierce. The particular brands manufactured are: " Snow Bank " and " Cook's Delight." The mill is operated by water power, there being a fall of 16 ft. at this point.
W. J. Miller & Sons,—These flourishing wagon and carriage works were established by Mr. Miller in 1850. Besides manufacturing these articles he does a general repairing and blacksmithing business. The above partnership was formed in 1872, and additions were made to his buildings three years ago. The " Miller Wagon," so called, is standard.
Planing Mill,—The planing mill was built in 1869, and since then has been owned and operated by Robert Wegg. The property is valued at about $4,000. Mr. Wegg employs from 5 to 8 hands.
A neat little hotel, the Manor House, was built in 1871, and is the only one in the village. It is owned by Eli Manor, and conducted by his son, F. A.
This little village, which contains so many germs of growth, was first platted by James F. Dickerson, May 9 and 10, 1850. Mr. Dickerson died in a few years, and Adolph Freeman married his widow. In 1855-6, two additions to the original plat were made by Mr. Freeman.