Original House

Walworth County Historical Society

Heritage Hall
103 East Rockwell Street
Elkhorn, Wisconsin 53121



The building history is an integral part of Elkhorn and Walworth County. The Rohleder family opened the first funeral home there in the later 1940's or early 1950's which was then sold to the Derksen family and finally sold to the Betts family in the 1970's. Although it was a funeral home for more than a half century, it was built as a private residence by John Harris in the mid-19th century. As a side note, in 1871 John Harris sold a Chicago cheese distribution business to two brothers, John and Fred Kraft.