Town 3 north, range 15 east, was at first included in largest Elkhorn. At an extra session of the territorial Legislature by an act dated August 18,
1840, this town was made a part of Whitewater. Five months later, January 12, 1841, it was set off as the town of Richmond. Among the first-comers
to the town were Thomas and T. Perry James and Robert Sherman, from Richmond, Washington county, Rhode Island, and their influence, just then,
was sufficient to place another Richmond in the field of American geography.