The highway from Lake Geneva to East Troy, by way of the village of Spring Prairie, is crossed by the railway 2.8 miles west of Lyons, on the
south side of section 7. This road was for many years, before and after a station was made there, an important mail route, and hence a convenient
point for retail trade, grain and wool buying, and lumber-selling. In the mid seventies considerable shipments of dressed poultry were made, largely to
Boston buyers. Changes in the industries of the county, with consequent effects on the business of villages, have checked the growth of Springfield,
though it is not yet a wholly deserted village. A fire in 1910 destroyed the station building. After more than a year of delay it was rebuilt, better than
before, and this with a long line of wide cement platform shows that Springfield is yet of some importance to the railway company. Amid the discontinuances
of small postoffices the office at this place remains as one of the fourth class, indispensable for local and northern service. That part of the road
between the station and Lake Geneva, about three and one-half miles, is a stage and mail route on which three trips are made daily, from the lake. For
many years Ansel Knowles (died August 19, 1875), of Lake Geneva, made these trips through sunshine, rain and snow, and became well and favorably
known to thousands of passengers.
The village was platted by Henry T. Fuller in 1855. There was once a prosperous cheese factory there, a hotel, and an Episcopal chapel, the service of which was supplied in turn by the clerical and lay professors from DeKoven Hall, Racine College. Among the more easily recalled active business men were Edwin Booth, Edwin Moorhouse, and Asa W. Phelps.