As one of the five towns constituted by the act of January 2, 1838, Troy included the next eastward township, set off March 21, 1843, as East Troy.
The present town is No. 4 north, range 17 east. It is not known why it was so called, but it may have been that its discoverer preferred a short and easily
spelled name. About the time of the separation from East Troy the Legislature conferred upon that town the old name and renamed the older town
Meacham. To this the sensible Major objected and to such purpose that the two towns were immediately named as at present.