Troy Center, in sections 14. 15, was a creation of the railway company which in 1871 needed a station there, at a meeting of highways. In that year
Charles D. Haven and Daniel A. Olin, for the company, bought of James Gardiner Briggs 359-37 acres. In the same year these three men joined in
a deed "to the public" of land included in a village plat. A postoffice was established, a hotel, stores, warehouse, blacksmith shop were built and thirty
or more comfortable homes made there. Charles Wyman built the first house. John A. Schwartz built the first store, George Dewitt built the hotel,
and William H. Dewitt built the warehouse, afterward owned and occupied by Nathaniel M. Bunker and Lindsey J. Smith, and now by John A. and
Albert A. Schwartz. As early as 1837 George W. Blanchard, Albon M. Perry and Soldan Powers formed a little group of settlers about a half mile
north of the station, but from this no village resulted.